Friday, August 15, 2008

Bumps and Bruises of Olympic Proportions!


Well, we are such fans of the Olympics at our house, that we decided to have our children involved by participating in mock activities. The first sport we decided to try was boxing! Kendra's grandpa had been a boxer back in his youth, and we decided to keep the sport going in the family. Kennedy was the first in the ring. Her opponent?....the cement step on our front porch. She seemed to have forgotten all of the protective moves we tried so diligently to teach her, especially if she lost her balance and fell...must've been the jitters of having Pierce place her on his bike while he helped her 'ride'. When Pierce came running in the house to tell me there was 'something really cool outside you have to see Mom', I was in the midst of cooking Sunday dinner. After asking him the fourth time what was so cool, I heard the blood-curdling scream, and immediately ran out to the front porch. Frank made it there first, and I honestly have never seen so much blood coming out of someone's nose, let alone a 22 mo. old. With every heart beat, blood was spurting out of each nostril.

It took us about 10 minutes to get the bleeding under control, and after about 15 more minutes of Kennedy clinging to Frank and her nose continuing to swell, we decided to take her to Instacare to make sure it wasn't broken. After six x-rays (only three were needed, but she wouldn't lie still) we were sent on our way with the knowledge that it hadn't been broken, but the cartilage had been pretty mushed, and to ice it the best we could. Her nasal passages swelled shut, making it difficult for her to breathe the last couple of nights. Then last night she woke up at 2 am with a raging fever which never really broke. I took her back to the doctor's today and found out she has a sinus infection...surprise, surpirse. So? As to our mock Olympics...we'll just watch them on TV for right now!

Warning!! The following pictures are disturbing!


Night of the accident



Day 2


Day 3


Day 4


Day 5


5 comments:

Aaron & Michelle said...

Oh my goodness Kendra!!!! Bless her little heart. PAINFUL. HOPE she if feeling better. We hope to make it down there sometme. Love you guys. Michelle

Joel's Family said...

Hi Kendra I found you on Marcies blog! Hope you dont mind me blog stocking you Ha ha! It sounds like things are very eventful at your house! I sure hope she is doing better! I hope all is well with you guys! We ought to do lunch some time!

Marci said...

Oh my! How is Kennedy now?

We just started blogging.
Take a look: smbelnap.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Poor little girl! It breaks your heart when they get hurt.

Anonymous said...

Kendra,
I love your blog, it's way cute! I added you to mine :) Ours is stevenjen.blogspot.com.
Poor Kennedy, she sure looks a ton better now!!
Jen Kangas