Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Time for Thanksgiving

This last year, we hosted Thanksgiving dinner at our new home in Lehi. I was really excited because I have a new kitchen and dinig area that would accomodate everyone! Plus, my new kitchen has a double convection oven! So nice! My mom really hadn't been feeling well for the past 6 mo. previously, ever since she had her gall bladder removed back in April. Our visits to their home had become shorter, and longer in between because of my mom's health. So, my dad was excited when I approached him with the invitation to do dinner at our place. My mom wasn't sure she'd feel up to making it over to our house, but we kept praying that she would. There were a few things that I asked my sisters-in-law to help with, and we even made a few separate dishes to accomodate my mom's simplified diet. Frank and I put the turkeys (yes, two--one 18 lb., and another 10 lb.) in to cook in the morning, and then Sterling and Brighton's wives, Christy & Brooke, came by about 10:30 to help make the potatoes and set up tables and chairs. Dallas brought the salad, and Brighton made the stuffing/ dressing. We were so happy when we heard the doorbell ring and both my dad AND mom came in! We were all together, and shared a very delicious dinner! It was the last time our family was together, and we all felt really bad alter that we didn't get a family picture. We were just really enjoying visiting and seeing each other, and trying to eat quickly so some family members could get to their other side of the family dinner later in the afternoon. My mom seemed happy that day, but just after an hour, she was exhausted, and needed to get home again to rest. As I look back on the last five months since our move from Logan, I am so grateful we were able to move here when we did. Thanksgiving was a day of brightness and hope and happiness, and I'm grateful for that day!

The turkey--Frank said it was the most moist he'd had in all of our Thanksgivings together!


Here is Brooke, me, and Christy working hard in the kitchen!


Here's the whole crew. I think someone got a better picture, but this is the last one I have of my mom.

4 comments:

Emilee said...

you guys all look great! so i saw your hubby on the news the other night. i rarely watch it, but i happened to that night. he did a great job, good for him to be a good. cool principal! i need to renew this year too, dang! i think i am just a couple hours short, i need to check...anyway! how is he liking the new district??

R said...

when I upgrade from Henry's Point, I hope to have a double oven too!

Anonymous said...

That's so nice that you have such a wonderful memory of a wonderful day with all your family together. I'm sure you're so glad you hosted it. The turkey looks so perfect! You resemble your mom- that's nice.

Emily said...

Oh I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving with your whole family! Your prayers were answered. You will treasure that picture of your mom. I hope you are doing okay.