Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Who's tending the kids?

We have a fabulous Stake President! His name is Rocky Maughan. He and his counselors like to challenge the members of the stake to be better members of the church, and like to see them strive to be better. Last year they set a challenge for members of the stake to track the number of times they read the scriptures and held family activities. This year, they are asking members to find acts of service to perform and then read good books. Well, one of the services Pres. Maughan and his sweet wife are doing is providing an evening out for the bishops and their wives, while they watch the bishop's children. When Pres. Maughan called and asked us to set up a time in January we'd like to do this, we were very grateful for their generosity and set a date. After marking our date on the calendar, we prepped our kids that they would be going over to Pres. and Sis. Maughan's house while we went out on a date.

A few days before the date, I was picking up Pierce from school, and he says, "I'm soooo excited for Friday mom!! I can't wait to go to the prophet's house!" I said, "What do you mean go to the prophet's house?" Pierce replied, "You know, President MONSON? He's our PROPHET! You're taking us to HIS HOUSE so you and dad can go on your date?!" I then said, "Oh honey, that would be pretty neat, but you're going to be going to our stake president's house. You know Pres. Maughan, he's the one with gray hair that talks at Stake Conference?" "Oh man! I wanted to go to President Monson's house! Can't you call him instead?"

So, Frank had his bishop's training the next evening with Pres. Maughan, and he told Pres. Maughan about what Pierce said. He thought it was pretty funny, and so did we. It wasn't until we showed up at President Maughan's house that we realized I hadn't clarified things enough for our kids, because Dayton said, "Is this the white or the brown President Monson's?" "What?" Frank said, "This is President Maughan's house, NOT President Monson...Pres. MAUGHAN has white hair, NOT brown hair." "Oh man! I wanted to go to President Monson's!" Dayton said.

So the boys slowly moped into the house. But, by the time we went back to pick them up, they didn't want to leave (so typical)! So it wasn't too bad to go to Pres. Maughan's after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A-HAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE that story! I'm sure Pres Maughan's house was pretty fun, but WOW what a play date that would be to go to Pres MONSON'S house!!! That was a great laugh, thanks for sharing :D